There And Back Again, The Wanderings of an Unoriginal Bastard

Word on the street is that there are people that carefully plot out their entire lives. I am not one of those.

Name:
Location: Depends what day it is

So there I was, bored at work, when I think "Why not just quit my job and go to Europe for awhile?" Still can't think of a reason not to.

Monday, November 03, 2008

Not all my chickens hatched

Not, of course, literally. I'm just refering to some of my euporia from Friday night.

Sidenote: The Halloween party was a themed one. It was supposed to be a "Superheroes and Supervillains" party but then Jay wanted to go as Indiana Jones (NOT from the Crystal skull movie, which he has declared to be anathema) so it became a "Heroes and Villains" party. Hence my bitterness that I, Listerine Man, was denied the oppurtunity to have my photo taken with all the other Heroes. But what are you gonna do?

Sidenote the Second: Amy has pointed out that she had AHA stuck in her head for days thanks to my previous link. As such I felt I should let her have this stuck instead since I know she likes this piece of music.

Back to the point of my posting...

So Friday was an awesome day. Not only was it Halloween. Not only was it the day that my cold abated enough for me to go to work (and who knew that someday I would view that as a positive) not only was it the day that a cop, catching me going 125 in a 100 zone flashed his lights at me and *didn't* pull me over. Not only all those but also it was the day I did my employee evaluation for work. We do one of those "you evaluate yourself, then they do it, and let's see if they match." As well I expected to do this with my CAO Tim rather than my Director Johan (this becomes important later).

So Johan and I compare scores and they are almost identical across the board. Which is awesome. Then we get to the "how much money do you think you should get" part and I clam up. See Tim, whom I thought I'd be talking to, is a negotiator in the "I open by asking for a lot, he opens by taking away my parking space" school, so I'd put down a 22% raise. Johan is a "that's dumb" style of guy who is really funny for many reasons including his tendency to speak very bluntly about things. So he finally persuades me to show him the number, and he does laugh. Except it's a friendly laugh because Johan has written three numbers down. "What we should be paying you" which equals exactly the number I wrote down. "What we will probably give you" which is still an 11% raise. And "What we will definitely give you as a minimum" which is like 4%. Then talk gets around to the vacant slot in the Organizational chart for the County labeled "Junior Planner" and Johan says "of course if we move you into that role you'll make the first number as a minimum, but you'll be called on to do a lot more planning work than you do now."

So I say "To be clear, I get a better title, more money, and I'll get to spend more of my time doing the work I enjoy?" "Yeah, I'm ok with that."

So I was pretty damn happy Friday night. Which fed my alchoholism (I did tell like EVERYONE at the party, mostly because I didn't want them to think I was just a drunk) to a bit more of an extreme than I'd planned (Sorry again Ray, you're a good man for helping me not die).

However the reality is set now. I got raise #2 (so "only" 11%) though Johan did point out that I'll be getting a cost of living adjustment at the end of December for another 3-5%. I'm not getting the Junior Planner title yet. They want me to get a feeling for how much work GIS is so another 6 months minimum. Which is totally ok since while it would have been awesome to be in that position, my personal plan didn't call for that for another year yet, so the reality was it would have been really intimidating. Also the County is paying for me to take an Applied Land Use Certificate (which is as close as Alberta has to a planning degree) as well as for me to apply for Provisional membership with the Alberta Association of Community Planners (and the Canadidan Institue of Planners by extension) which will both mean that by 6 months from now I'll be not only way more qualified to hold that post, I'll also have a decidedly superior market value than I do now.

I just realized I used the phrase "personal plan" and meant it. I think I have a 5 year plan (ok it's a 6 year plan to be precise). I've never felt so old before. Gah! Pass the tequila!!

pleasedontpassthetequilla

3 Comments:

Blogger neuba said...

Wahoo, Bne's a grown-up! Kinda...yipee!

Congratulations!

8:17 PM  
Blogger T. said...

Dude, it's like I don't even know you anymore.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Bne said...

Don't hate the player...hate the game!

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home