There And Back Again, The Wanderings of an Unoriginal Bastard

Word on the street is that there are people that carefully plot out their entire lives. I am not one of those.

Name:
Location: Depends what day it is

So there I was, bored at work, when I think "Why not just quit my job and go to Europe for awhile?" Still can't think of a reason not to.

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Expectations and Recommendations

Kinda rhymes. Which was not deliberate.

I've been thinking lately about the purpose of blogs. Not in a "ok, here it comes. He's quitting" way but rather trying to figure what this is for now.

See when I started this blog it had a very specific purpose. "I'm in Europe and you're not..neener neener" but that fell to the wayside when I ran out of money and came home. Since then it's wandered from a "reporting on my day to day life" ala when I was in Europe...except wildly less interesting since London > Stettler, to a more conversational thing where I post random thoughts or ideas as they occur to me.

Overall I can't decide which I like more. I mean on the one hand I quite like using this to tell people what I'm up to. On the other hand "I'm writing a policy to guide community and road naming processes for the County" is hardly fascinating reading. And while Karoke night was a total blast (as well as my other weekends in Edmonton) again the details tend towards the mundane. On the other hand I know I like to see other people's updates (hint hint Suz) since no matter if it's "Went to work, had a pastrami sandwhich. I don't like pastrami" it's nice for me because I sort of "hear" them talking. Which considering so many of my friends are far away and considering I'm becoming "Furlak-esque" in my use of the phone (see: Sometimes it dies cause I don't charge it. Also it hasn't left my apartment in a week) is a nice way to have a fond moment thinking about them.

The random thought posts can be really lame though. Since I tend to write them very early in the morning or very late at night. They also often crack me up, which can be both a good an bad thing for the reader.

I'm in a maudlin mood tonight for a number of reasons. The first couple being these movies which were bother excellent and also both very sweet.

Ghost Town's previews are slightly misleading. The previews before the movie more accurately reflect the fact that this is, in fact, a chick flick. It is however an outstanding one and very sweet and touching and highly recommended. However I really enjoy the dry british humour of the main character, so your mileage may vary. I actually saw this movie a week ago, but seeing the second one reminded me to mention this one.

Chaos Theory continues to demonstrate that Ryan Reynolds can act. Also the fact that I was able to overcome seeing Emily Mortimer as any character other than Phoebe ("Careful, my bones") was a tribute to the movie itself. I rented it on a whim since I'd also rented Rush Hour 3 and Rambo 6 or whatever.

Sidenote: Rush hour 3 was, in fact, even worse than I'd expected. And I didn't expect much. There is about 5 minutes with the cab driver that is awesome ala Jeremy Piven in Rush Hour 2, but even that isn't enough to salvage it. I know, shocking!

Sidenote the 2nd: Rambo was so incredibly accurate in it's depiction of violence that I actually had a bit of a disconnect from the action to admire the dedication to accuracy. For instance when the man Rambo has cut nearly in half with a machete (which we get to not only see, but see in close) the body rolls down a hill over some uneven ground and the body actually "shifts" as it rolls as a body with no skin based cohesion would in that situation. Also the several (4-6) times we see someone's head explode from being shot with a sniper rifle all appear to be different heads rather than reusing a single shot. Like I said, you end up kind of admiring the artistry of whomever did the special effects. In a world where cavemen extras sometimes wear watches, that kind of attention to detail is almost unheard of.

By now you've likely stopped reading (ba dum ching) and also realized that this is one of those "random thoughts" posts. Like I said, I kind of like these because they amuse me sometimes but also because it lets me "talk" to my friends with that sort of "hanging out at a house" feel where you'd talk to the group instead of specific people. It's things I would like everyone I know to hear, but aren't important enough to warrant a direct phone call.

Final Verdict: I think I'll mostly do "random thought" style of posts. I do promise to reprioritize my time so that I write them at some point in my day other than just after i've woken up or just before I've gone to bed. Also it's entirely possible (however improbable) that I might even start proofreading them before I post. However this does not mean that I won't do the occasional "state of the union" post talking about boring work things and slightly less boring life things.

6 Comments:

Blogger neuba said...

Purpose of Ben's Blog (according to neuba): for me to give you a hard time for not calling me this weekend, when we are SUPPOSE to be hanging out. We even made a date of it.

Busy I suppose....chillin' with the same people he's seen every weekend for the last month and a half.

Upset?? Not really. Sad?? A little. I miss my friend and I'm busy for the next 4 weekends.

Love ya!

8:26 PM  
Blogger Bne said...

No!

I did totally forget to call you, but the friends I was hanging out with were:
1) My dirty dishes
2) Justin
3) Laundry
4) videogamesokthatoneisnotsogood

I didn't leave Stettler this past weekend!

2:56 PM  
Blogger neuba said...

Well....I guess that is ok. You weren't even in town. That is a pretty good excuse.

Are you going back to Saskatoon for Thanksgiving?

9:07 PM  
Blogger Bne said...

The problem with having American relatives is that we celebrated both Thanksgivings when I was a kid. Also I took a few blows to the head as a child. The reason I mention this is that reading your comment my first thought was "Oh, THAT's what the stat holiday is in October!"

I don't know yet. Given that it's thanksgiving and that my mom can be terrifying when crossed it seems more likely than it did 5 minutes ago. :-)

6:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BEN!

Rambo was extremely graphic. Holy smack! I almost had to turn away a couple of times near the end there. Too many guys getting the legs blown off by single rounds of the big guns.

I also was impressed with Chaos Theory and like Ryan Reynolds even more for it. Good description of RH3. I really wish that someone would come to my door and reimburse me for the hours I wasted watching that movie.

Is Stettler really that bad? Isn't there something to keep you occupied?

-Rob

10:36 PM  
Blogger Bne said...

It's not that Stettler is bad per se. Just small and decidedly less interesting than London. I try to keep busy where I can though.

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home