There And Back Again, The Wanderings of an Unoriginal Bastard

Word on the street is that there are people that carefully plot out their entire lives. I am not one of those.

Name:
Location: Depends what day it is

So there I was, bored at work, when I think "Why not just quit my job and go to Europe for awhile?" Still can't think of a reason not to.

Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Jacob Two-two would be proud

I know the classic themes in literature are (and forgive the obvious sexism of the titles):

Man vs Man
Man vs Himself
Man vs His Environment

However after today I would propose (and feel it would be carried by popular acclaim):
Man Vs His Damn Computer

Since while it could be argued computers belong to "vs Environment", I would argue a certain level of maliciousness that more rightly belongs to "vs Man" and this blurring of the lines would lead to the need to incorporate ("Damned Computers Inc") as a new category.

I have spent the better part of today splitting my time between two tasks. On the one hand is "Begging my plotter to print a pdf" (which started the day as "demanding" but has steadily weakened until I, like the secretaries in Mad Men, am approaching as a supplicant) which has been a true battle of wills in which I employ the twin weapons of Precendent ("You've done this before! YESTERDAY!!!") and Stubborness (Yes Amy, laugh it up. I am, in fact, trying to "out stubborn" a machine just as you did lo those many years ago. I mocked you then...and you may mock me now). And it is replying with the superpower of "Radomness" wherein it will print part of the map (and it's not a multipart map) and then have a memory error and shut down.

One might think I would weary of this fight, but my other option is to return to my perusal of "A Model Process to Guide Municipal Consideration of Subdivisions and Developments using Private Sewage Treatment Systems". Yeah....it's just that exciting.

See I do have about 5 other things I could be doing that would be more interesting, but they all require someone else. And today is Council and on Council you are one of two classes of people. People who have something to present/report to Council and therefore are stresssed and unreachable, and people who do not. I do not, and if I trouble those that do they will react like I do when I am one of them. Which is to say to stare at me like I'm mentally deficient and tell me to come back tomorrow.

3 Comments:

Blogger enthemic said...

Did you check to see if it was plugged in?

9:28 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Ahem...

HA-HA!

That is all.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Bne said...

Yeah yeah. I "won" in that I got three maps printed by 5pm. I finally told the computer to send it to the plotter as an image rather than a pdf (note: this involved checking a box labeled "send as image") which was fine. Still took an hour to print, but at least it did so. I checked with my IT guy and he has informed me that this just means I can't retrieve the map as a pdf from the plotter. Assuming I had any idea how to do that or wanted to do so at any point.

sigh

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home