There And Back Again, The Wanderings of an Unoriginal Bastard

Word on the street is that there are people that carefully plot out their entire lives. I am not one of those.

Name:
Location: Depends what day it is

So there I was, bored at work, when I think "Why not just quit my job and go to Europe for awhile?" Still can't think of a reason not to.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Hard Choices

So there's been a bunch going on in my life over the last couple of weeks. Work is busy, challenging, fun, frustrating, and good as a whole. With power (and no, I can't really claim "great" though there are more than a few people depending on me) comes responsibility (see what I just said about "great") or at the very least it can certainly result in alot of people calling you. I begin to understand why my boss is almost continuously on the phone (and probably contiguously if he wanted to be). Also last weekend at the cabin was absolutely and positively amazing. It's really nice to spend a weekend surrounded by people I care about who are all, pretty much universally, happier than they were last time I saw them. Great time, great friends, great games (and explosives), and a great energy. And tonight I'm going to see Wall-e (or however it's spelled) which is supposed to be a pretty good show.

So yeah, life has been pretty much outstanding. I'm not just saying that to brag (though I am bragging. I mean look at me!) but also to pump myself up a little cause (as per the title of the post) I have a hard decision to make. See Big Brothers has come to the strange conclusion that I would be a positive influence in a child's life (weird!) and so I've passed the various checks and tests (and home invasion...I mean "inspection")and am now at the stage where I've been handed a piece of paper with five children listed on it with some basic stats. Siblings, age, disabilities, how long they've been waiting to be paired off...that sort of thing. These are the five the director thinks could most benefit from having a Big Brother.

And I'm paralyzed with indecision here. Which is really not like me. Even my detractors have to admit that it isn't my lack of ability to make decisions that they hate about me. But really how the hell do I do this?!? The director actually suggested that if I could narrow it down to two that I flip a coin. Not to trivialize the decision but simply because "for some people that's the only way they can decide". And I'm tired (again the great weekend and busy work) and when I'm tired I tend to become more emotional and kind of womanly.

So this is where you come in. See I'm not going to ask you to choose for me (cause that is neither fair nor can I really reveal anything meaningful on my blog vis a vis confidentiality) but rather ask you to answer a question. And I'm trying to avoid melodrama here but here's whats bothering me when I stare at this list.

How do you pick one child without feeling that you've implicitly rejected all the other ones?

Edit: Wall-E was awesome. Also after re-reading this post 2 or 3 times as though that will help me decide which of the final 3 I'll select, I decided that "tears me up inside" is actually just melodrama. It's not entirely inaccurate but "bothering me" seems a little closer to home now that the initial surge of "Good god I'm a bad person cause I can't help all of them" has passed.

6 Comments:

Blogger cenobyte said...

You choose which child you think your input would have the greatest impact on. Preferably in a Good Way.

And you live with the knowledge that sometimes, having to discriminate *for* someone means that you must choose them ahead of someone else. It's not an easy thing to do, and the fact that you're wrestling with the problem indicates you are a Good Choice for a Big Brother.

Just don't light each other on fire, please.

10:59 PM  
Blogger Bne said...

See and you make (and made) many strong points. And then I talked to Amy for a while and she also made many strong points. Fortunately the Director is out of the office today so I have another day to stall my final decision.

As well I can always focus on Amy's helpful advice. Don't think about the benefit to the one you choose. Think of it as improving the lives of the other four. She's such a Hi-larious lady sometimes.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Bne said...

I should also, in a strange effort to be fair, point out that Amy did have alot of good advice regarding making sure that I didn't bite off more than I could chew. This is my first time doing anything of this magnitude and so it might be a good idea to help the one that will be easiest for me to help so as to avoid overextending myself right away.

11:10 AM  
Blogger cenobyte said...

you shouldn't be biting the children at all, actually...

1:15 PM  
Blogger T. said...

You should choose the kid most likely to help you pick up chicks. I mean hey, you're doing lots for him, he may as well do something for you, right?

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey it's Anita here.

Stumbled on your blog.

Reading this post makes me think you'd be an awesome Big Brother. Wow!!

Hope things keep being awesome for you.

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home