Shhh It's rabbit season
Ok, so I've also discovered that I like to take the bus to Calgary.
Firstly mathwise it costs about the same as renting a car (when you add gas of course) and since renting a car is base price and up from there (speeding tickets and accidents etc) and bus price is just for the ride, it's potentially much cheaper. And since it doesn't take that much longer (remember the speeding tickets) then when I drive it's hard to argue with.
Also, and most importantly, it lets my relax and read. I listen to my ipod (or I did before it ceased to function...brief pause while I call apple tech support. Done, I used the tech tips on the webpage) and read and relax.
I just finished Nick Hornby's "A Long Way Down" which I sort of enjoyed. See the backstory is that it's a book about four people that meet on a rooftop where they each plan to jump and then they hang out and don't jump.
I'm not wrecking it for you since that's basically imparted to you in the first ten pages of said book and by every review of it that I read (one). I first heard of this book right after the move to Calgary and the associated unhappiness and it fit with my self-pitying opinion that it would be very gothic of me to read about people that want to die and somesuch. Especially since the review said the book ends with them deciding to live cause it seemed like the thing to do (not exactly how it ends, but close enough. It's much better than that sounds though in that his ending builds nicely then suddenly just stops, but good none the less).
Fortunately, or not it's hard to say, the library in Calgary was out of it for like over a year and so I didn't buy it until after I went to Europe, discovered my inner peace and happiness, and moved to Edmonton. So mostly it was kind of dull. I put it down alot cause some of the characters are a bit too much at times.
That being said I finished it on the bus last trip. And it is worth the overal read. And I'm pleased to say that I'm not even remotely near where I was mentally when I first heard of the book (another reason I bought it, as a bit of a self test) which is fan-freaking-tastic and althogh the ending is kind of sudden, it isn't completely out of line.
I've moved on now to Philip Pullman's Dark Materials trilogy on the advice of Malcolm. It's quite good considering his judgement of books is skewed...the man didn't like Lizard Music after all. I'm almost done the first book which is kind of sad seeing as how I read 250 pages of it on the bus ride back and then another 70 yesterday after a break of 10 days.
I haven't really read for pleasure in a long time. I think I didn't want to be alone with myself to that degree for a while and I'm pleased to see that I may be returning to that hobby.
Anyway, just wanted to mention that I do other things than play WoW. Not alot of things, but others none the less.
Firstly mathwise it costs about the same as renting a car (when you add gas of course) and since renting a car is base price and up from there (speeding tickets and accidents etc) and bus price is just for the ride, it's potentially much cheaper. And since it doesn't take that much longer (remember the speeding tickets) then when I drive it's hard to argue with.
Also, and most importantly, it lets my relax and read. I listen to my ipod (or I did before it ceased to function...brief pause while I call apple tech support. Done, I used the tech tips on the webpage) and read and relax.
I just finished Nick Hornby's "A Long Way Down" which I sort of enjoyed. See the backstory is that it's a book about four people that meet on a rooftop where they each plan to jump and then they hang out and don't jump.
I'm not wrecking it for you since that's basically imparted to you in the first ten pages of said book and by every review of it that I read (one). I first heard of this book right after the move to Calgary and the associated unhappiness and it fit with my self-pitying opinion that it would be very gothic of me to read about people that want to die and somesuch. Especially since the review said the book ends with them deciding to live cause it seemed like the thing to do (not exactly how it ends, but close enough. It's much better than that sounds though in that his ending builds nicely then suddenly just stops, but good none the less).
Fortunately, or not it's hard to say, the library in Calgary was out of it for like over a year and so I didn't buy it until after I went to Europe, discovered my inner peace and happiness, and moved to Edmonton. So mostly it was kind of dull. I put it down alot cause some of the characters are a bit too much at times.
That being said I finished it on the bus last trip. And it is worth the overal read. And I'm pleased to say that I'm not even remotely near where I was mentally when I first heard of the book (another reason I bought it, as a bit of a self test) which is fan-freaking-tastic and althogh the ending is kind of sudden, it isn't completely out of line.
I've moved on now to Philip Pullman's Dark Materials trilogy on the advice of Malcolm. It's quite good considering his judgement of books is skewed...the man didn't like Lizard Music after all. I'm almost done the first book which is kind of sad seeing as how I read 250 pages of it on the bus ride back and then another 70 yesterday after a break of 10 days.
I haven't really read for pleasure in a long time. I think I didn't want to be alone with myself to that degree for a while and I'm pleased to see that I may be returning to that hobby.
Anyway, just wanted to mention that I do other things than play WoW. Not alot of things, but others none the less.

9 Comments:
You read?
You *can* read????
Haha, Neuba made Amy unoriginal.
Oh, and bite me funny girls. Of course I *can* read. Wow, I was about to say how I don't like boring and often unrewarding activity...
Umm, yeah.
Not unoriginal. I interpreted Neuba's question as "You *choose* to read?" and therefore asked my clarifying question.
Nyah.
I understood Amy perfectly. Perhaps Bne has more problems, as comprehensive seems to be difficult for him as well.
**Amy high-fives Neuba**
You should send me an email if you have iPod problems.
I would like to see bne try to bite Amy . . . my god, the aftermath would be spectacular.
Perhaps you feel more like reading because you are no longer in university. That seems to do it everytime.
You lie! 'Tis duck season, assuredly.
Post a Comment
<< Home