How long can it take to build a shed?
So I'm staring at the pile of parts that is my dining room table and I was reminded of a certain awesome. See the pile has been there since Friday already, and the longer I don't build it the more I wonder why I wanted a table in the first place.
Then I remember that I have friends in this city, friends that I may want to have over for dinner, and that a table can have a whole multitiude of uses and so I resolve to begin anew on the assembly.
Hmm, it's been a while...where to start. Ok so I'm sorta working finally. I broke down and went out and got a restuarant job last week on the grounds that even imminent ruin was not enough of a motivating factor to get me to step up my job hunting to what most people would consider to be a normal, or even mildly focused level. I'm back at Hy's of Edmonton, which feels odd to say since the best description for it is it is "similar, but not the same" as Hy's of Calgary. Edmonton is sort of the old money feel Hy's versus Calgary which has a new money feel, in that Edmonton is slightly dilapadated (could look up the spelling, but I choose not to) and not overly concerned with the little things that keep Barb (my manager in Calgary) up at night. I don't think it's a coincidence that Calgary is considerably busier than Edmonton. I like it there, it's very comfortable and relaxed and even seems like a nice casual way to make a decent living, but I'm also fairly certain that my more carefully honed waitering skills will atrophy there.
Ok, I don't want to give the wrong impression here. Hy's in Edmonton isn't bad, the other waiters there aren't bad, it just has a completely different energy than Calgary did and the casualness of old money is, to my mind, the best way to put it.
I'm also looking at possibly helping open Ruth's Chris, which is an American chain, across the street. At this point my plan is to do both and see which I like more.
The really good news is that last night was plesant, but not fun. I think I can honestly say that I'm done serving. I still enjoy it somewhat, but it wasn't as satisfying as it used to be for me. Possibly it's cause of all the awesome people I can hang out with here which means my desire to be social is pretty much covered. Possibly it's cause I did it for a decade and am ready to be done...I don't know, I'm not a doctor. I do know that I can do it as long as is neccesary, but that I'm bloody unlikely to keep going as I did in Calgary.
In other news I'm gonna get to embrace one of my favorite things in life. Rules discussions. I've been asked by the man with the angry bunny slippers (seriously, they were scary looking) to help him hash out some house rules for the next game he might run...dun dun duuuuhhhh. Which should be fun...seriously, I like that sort of stuff.
Speaking of whom, I am endlessly amused by the manner in which he can convey a sense of "What are you, an idiot?" by facial expression alone. Whether it be the slightly bemused smirk I got in response to "Do you have a pie plate?", or the furrowed brow of confusion to my compliment of his bunny slippers, which made me feel like Belkar ("But they're on your feet") no one does it like Davey.
Anyway, gonna go have breakfast and face my day. I promise to update more often as the mood strikes me.
Oh, and finally my main man Furious B (aka Buttery B, Ravenouse B, Blogger B, B-Unit, B-Dawg, B-money, and so many more) has finally joined us in blogger land.
He's awesome...and needs to live in Alberta with everyone else.
And he's correct. That was some damn fine tequilla we had that night. Seriously...it was actually kinda good.
Then I remember that I have friends in this city, friends that I may want to have over for dinner, and that a table can have a whole multitiude of uses and so I resolve to begin anew on the assembly.
Hmm, it's been a while...where to start. Ok so I'm sorta working finally. I broke down and went out and got a restuarant job last week on the grounds that even imminent ruin was not enough of a motivating factor to get me to step up my job hunting to what most people would consider to be a normal, or even mildly focused level. I'm back at Hy's of Edmonton, which feels odd to say since the best description for it is it is "similar, but not the same" as Hy's of Calgary. Edmonton is sort of the old money feel Hy's versus Calgary which has a new money feel, in that Edmonton is slightly dilapadated (could look up the spelling, but I choose not to) and not overly concerned with the little things that keep Barb (my manager in Calgary) up at night. I don't think it's a coincidence that Calgary is considerably busier than Edmonton. I like it there, it's very comfortable and relaxed and even seems like a nice casual way to make a decent living, but I'm also fairly certain that my more carefully honed waitering skills will atrophy there.
Ok, I don't want to give the wrong impression here. Hy's in Edmonton isn't bad, the other waiters there aren't bad, it just has a completely different energy than Calgary did and the casualness of old money is, to my mind, the best way to put it.
I'm also looking at possibly helping open Ruth's Chris, which is an American chain, across the street. At this point my plan is to do both and see which I like more.
The really good news is that last night was plesant, but not fun. I think I can honestly say that I'm done serving. I still enjoy it somewhat, but it wasn't as satisfying as it used to be for me. Possibly it's cause of all the awesome people I can hang out with here which means my desire to be social is pretty much covered. Possibly it's cause I did it for a decade and am ready to be done...I don't know, I'm not a doctor. I do know that I can do it as long as is neccesary, but that I'm bloody unlikely to keep going as I did in Calgary.
In other news I'm gonna get to embrace one of my favorite things in life. Rules discussions. I've been asked by the man with the angry bunny slippers (seriously, they were scary looking) to help him hash out some house rules for the next game he might run...dun dun duuuuhhhh. Which should be fun...seriously, I like that sort of stuff.
Speaking of whom, I am endlessly amused by the manner in which he can convey a sense of "What are you, an idiot?" by facial expression alone. Whether it be the slightly bemused smirk I got in response to "Do you have a pie plate?", or the furrowed brow of confusion to my compliment of his bunny slippers, which made me feel like Belkar ("But they're on your feet") no one does it like Davey.
Anyway, gonna go have breakfast and face my day. I promise to update more often as the mood strikes me.
Oh, and finally my main man Furious B (aka Buttery B, Ravenouse B, Blogger B, B-Unit, B-Dawg, B-money, and so many more) has finally joined us in blogger land.
He's awesome...and needs to live in Alberta with everyone else.
And he's correct. That was some damn fine tequilla we had that night. Seriously...it was actually kinda good.

6 Comments:
Yeah, 'cause you know what really defines a man? His table assembling ability...
Oh that's right... I went there.
Y'know, since you've been waiting most of your life, why don't you open your own restaurant?
brrr.... putting together a table.... that's like a nightmare. All of my furniture was constructed by my masochistic friends.
I *love* putting furniture together! It's like a big puzzle that can cause injury and death if you do it wrong! Yay!
Like when a certain clumsy friend bumps into the shelving and it attacks him....
I'd totally forgotten that incidient until just now, amy.
If you can wait a few more days until I am moved in, I will come over and put the darn thing together. That is, if you haven't figured it out yourself by then.
I mean, c'mon...it's just not that hard to follow instructions!
Post a Comment
<< Home