There And Back Again, The Wanderings of an Unoriginal Bastard

Word on the street is that there are people that carefully plot out their entire lives. I am not one of those.

Name:
Location: Depends what day it is

So there I was, bored at work, when I think "Why not just quit my job and go to Europe for awhile?" Still can't think of a reason not to.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

The interview, or why I'm dying inside

So I'll start by saying that they promised to let me know one way or the other next week as they are interviewing all week.

sigh

So here's how it went.

12:30: Lunch with Mary, make some jokes about her digging up blackmail material on my interviewers since I have their names already. Something like "I see here you were only with telus for a year." Me: "Interesting observation from someone who can't even commit to her husband." That sort of thing. Good lunch, settles my nerves and off I go.

1:35: I'm 10 minutes early. I read a Macleans magasine and consider how many hot women work at the WCB, then decide to stop thinking about that.

1:45: Begin interview with Debra, Anne, and Loreen. This goes very well. I'm handling the questions with some ease from the "How does your previous work experience relate to this posting?" "Well, the year of call centre experience relates directly, and serving gives me a good grounding in stress management and customer service." To "What do you know about the WCB?" "More than I did two days ago..." to "Tell me about a difficult call you received and how you handled it" where I trotted out the Brett Day story, which is always good for a laugh.

Yup, it's going swimmingly. They seem to like me for the job, and I like me for the job...then tragedy hits.

"How do you know Fay Werbiki?"
"Awesome" I think. "She must be a friend of Fay's...I'm in!"
"She's my old manager from Delphi's"
"That company isn't on your resume."

CRAP

"Delphi's was a resturant I worked at during college, it was about ten years ago and I recently redid my resume and took it off." Fortunately I'd made reference to my recent use of Word in redoing my resume so that was met with a nod.
"Ok, we just like to have two references, and your third one is a little odd." Third one, what third one? I think "This one Someone from Telus" she reads aloud.

SONNUVA

I laugh, embarrased
"Oh no, I'm sorry with all the changes at TELUS I was supposed to have my manager Bryan there, but none of my contact information works anymore so that's a placeholder I put in until I talk to my old co-workers to get a new reference. I'm really sorry."

Yup, Mary and I both forgot that we'd done that in the 15 minutes between working on my resume, working on a cover letter, and then applying for the job. So there I am having owned the interview and now looking like a total tool.

"That's ok" She says "You mentioned that you worked at Hy's while you were in Calgary? Could you get a reference from your manager there?"
"Oh absolutely. Barb loved me and I'm sure would give me a reference."
"If you could email me that reference, just to the same email address as before but directed to me that would be great."

I went home, called Barb, and then emailed the info to Debbie.

Overall I give the interview a 7/10. I think I aced everything except the "his resume is wrong and he's an idiot" portion. However Mary told me to name drop (which I did) so that might help. And I think they did like me for it, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

But man, feeling sooooo stupid.

5 Comments:

Blogger Suz said...

You're fine and I think you did great. After a good interview, they probably just forgave the honest mistake and thought no more of it. The first impression had already been made.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I agree with Suz, and you know that I wouldn't miss a chance to call you an idiot. :)

What I am cherishing more and more in the workplace (in myself and others) is the ability to say "Damn, I screwed that up. Sorry, I'll fix it." More precious than rubies, that is.

10:24 AM  
Blogger cenobyte said...

Yup. And it's not like you told them about that time you went to the slev wearing a ratty old bathrobe and a plastic bag on your head (I am also under the assumption you didn't show up to your interview dressed that way).

I didn't even know the Alberta WCB had employees, to be honest (sarcasm), so you're a shoe-in (encouragement). And if it doesn't work out, you can come home (missing you).

12:29 PM  
Blogger Bne said...

I know, and thanks all for the encouragement. I'm just liking this job more and more when I think about it. For instance it starts with 3 weeks of paid holiday. I've never had a day of paid holiday before...

So I'm nervous cause of the whole actually wanting it thing.

1:11 PM  
Blogger neuba said...

Sounds like you definitely made an impression. Good luck!

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home