There And Back Again, The Wanderings of an Unoriginal Bastard

Word on the street is that there are people that carefully plot out their entire lives. I am not one of those.

Name:
Location: Depends what day it is

So there I was, bored at work, when I think "Why not just quit my job and go to Europe for awhile?" Still can't think of a reason not to.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Awesome in the Van Helsing sense

So my job is kind of boring to talk about. Heck it's even kind of boring to do sometimes. That all being said today was kind of amusing. See I've been editing another bylaw application and I had stopped by my bosses office to clarify what I was doing when the following conversation occurred:

Me: Hey boss, I just was wondering about this line here.
Boss: I'm glad you stopped in, I'd been meaning to mention that you should stop working on that.
Me: Is everything ok?
Boss: Oh yes. It's just that I had a meeting with Alberta Environment this morning. That development is going to be stalled or canceled entirely since the developer has been filling in Crown owned lakes.
Me: Are you serious?!?
Boss: Afraid so, so it looks like it will be years before he's allowed to progress...if ever.

That's right ladies and gentlemen. The developer, when faced with large bodies of water that did not belong to him, hired a crew to bulldoze and fill several Provincially owned lakes. Turns out you need some sort of permission to do that. I like to imagine him yelling "I pay your taxes!" as they drag him off to court.

I have to admit I'm still not certain how I feel about that. I mean on the one hand I'm kind of horrified. On the other I think it's really damn funny that this person thought this was a GOOD IDEA (tm) and acted on it. Also I am somewhat boggled by the logistics of filling in an entire lake.

3 Comments:

Blogger T. said...

Some people are of the opinion that if you just do it before anybody notices, you'll get away with it, because it can't be undone once you've finished.

Those people are fucking assholes, and they need to be punished as severely as the law allows.

11:21 PM  
Blogger cenobyte said...

Apparently in this case, "as severely as the law allows" begins and ends with having someone from Planning tell the developer, "please stop doing that". In much the same way Bert might tell Ernie the same thing.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Bne said...

Oh no. They're in considerably more trouble than just getting a stern talking to. I don't know if there is jail time involved (and I think it's unlikely) but I do know there's some pretty steep fines as well as a moratorium on this guy doing any developing work in the near (next few years) future. So he's pretty boned.

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home