It's not you, it's me. I've changed
It's a weird thought that I've been playing WoW since January 6, 2005. That's 3 years, 4 months and 3 weeks. I really am trying not to think about how much of that I actually spent playing the game. It's had its ups. Playing with the Saskatoon crew and making fun of Randy for collecting eggs (a quest I have since done about 12 times) as being lame. Raiding and seeing content that 80% of the player base will never see (well, 60% now). And it was there for me when I needed it (see: When I didn't want to deal with my life. Or couldn't afford to do anything else).
I canceled my account today. It's paid up until August so I'm not going cold turkey tomorrow but I just don't want to play anymore. It's not that it isn't fun, but it's really alot like what happened with me and gaming (of the tabletop/LARP variety) where after awhile it just started being the same thing over and over. And while it's still fun, you can't help but think about all the stuff you could be doing. It just starts to feel kind of pointless whether it's watching yet another "vampire trial" scene or it's fighting another boss. You just realize that it will never stop and you've stopped enjoying the scenery along the way.
I'm not ever going to be one of those people that says "I got a real life" cause I don't buy that. WoW was a hobby and an escape for me when I couldn't afford a real hobby. I still managed to meet people and get out once in a while (yes it could have been more often but that's not the point) and honestly I don't know if I could have survived my first 6 months in Calgary if I hadn't had WoW to keep me distracted. I probably would have been one hard drinker otherwise so my liver owes WoW much.
But I'm totally alone now. And weirdly enough I don't want to hide out in Azeroth killing shit and wiping on bosses anymore. I want to be bored enough to play one stupid string on my guitar over and over. I want to go to bed at a decent hour (see: not 1am) so I'm not tired at work cause God knows my job can be boring enough without me adding the hurdle of being tired. I want to read a little and watch movies when I feel like it. And I don't feel that same thrill when you spend weeks tweaking your strategy and manage to finally kill that boss that you've gotten so close to and there he is down and woot!
I was thinking about volunteering as a Big Brother. And I'd need my nights free. I'm also thinking about other volunteer stuff and just sort of getting out into the community. I live here now and I plan to be here for three years. I mean Christ, I'm thinking about buying a house here (mostly cause I'm overpaying for rent and if I have to move again I want to only do it once) so maybe I should see if I actually can find things here I like to do.
But yeah. I'm not feeling all free and hallelujah about quitting WoW. I know alot of people don't like it and they don't like how much time I spent on it but honestly I had alot of fun and have alot of fun memories (Jeff going like 12 levels without pants). I've made some friends in game. Rental friends, as Penny Arcade calls them, but none the less I know about their lives and they know about mine. I'm also not bummed about quitting. Which, oddly enough, is why I did it. I just don't care anymore and that is the best time to move on.
Wow...that was long. I guess I could have gotten away with "I quit WoW today" but I kind of wanted to wax poetic about it.
I canceled my account today. It's paid up until August so I'm not going cold turkey tomorrow but I just don't want to play anymore. It's not that it isn't fun, but it's really alot like what happened with me and gaming (of the tabletop/LARP variety) where after awhile it just started being the same thing over and over. And while it's still fun, you can't help but think about all the stuff you could be doing. It just starts to feel kind of pointless whether it's watching yet another "vampire trial" scene or it's fighting another boss. You just realize that it will never stop and you've stopped enjoying the scenery along the way.
I'm not ever going to be one of those people that says "I got a real life" cause I don't buy that. WoW was a hobby and an escape for me when I couldn't afford a real hobby. I still managed to meet people and get out once in a while (yes it could have been more often but that's not the point) and honestly I don't know if I could have survived my first 6 months in Calgary if I hadn't had WoW to keep me distracted. I probably would have been one hard drinker otherwise so my liver owes WoW much.
But I'm totally alone now. And weirdly enough I don't want to hide out in Azeroth killing shit and wiping on bosses anymore. I want to be bored enough to play one stupid string on my guitar over and over. I want to go to bed at a decent hour (see: not 1am) so I'm not tired at work cause God knows my job can be boring enough without me adding the hurdle of being tired. I want to read a little and watch movies when I feel like it. And I don't feel that same thrill when you spend weeks tweaking your strategy and manage to finally kill that boss that you've gotten so close to and there he is down and woot!
I was thinking about volunteering as a Big Brother. And I'd need my nights free. I'm also thinking about other volunteer stuff and just sort of getting out into the community. I live here now and I plan to be here for three years. I mean Christ, I'm thinking about buying a house here (mostly cause I'm overpaying for rent and if I have to move again I want to only do it once) so maybe I should see if I actually can find things here I like to do.
But yeah. I'm not feeling all free and hallelujah about quitting WoW. I know alot of people don't like it and they don't like how much time I spent on it but honestly I had alot of fun and have alot of fun memories (Jeff going like 12 levels without pants). I've made some friends in game. Rental friends, as Penny Arcade calls them, but none the less I know about their lives and they know about mine. I'm also not bummed about quitting. Which, oddly enough, is why I did it. I just don't care anymore and that is the best time to move on.
Wow...that was long. I guess I could have gotten away with "I quit WoW today" but I kind of wanted to wax poetic about it.

4 Comments:
I also delivered pies for hobbits in LotRO. Fat little gorgers.
Those bastards! I hope they at least tipped well.
Rental friends? Like Single-Serving friends from Fight Club but with a somewhat more flexible expiry date?
I want to say congratulations...but yet it doesn't really seem like the thing to say.
I felt pretty much the same when I quit online gaming. It was just one of those things I was done with...and most likely it was my escape from aspects of my real life for a few years.
I still love video games and play them on occasion. But it's something I simply have moved past as a semi-full time hobby and I have begun to enjoy so many other things.
I've always said, 'there is generally more important things/people in life to spend your time on/with.'
Kudos on taking an interest in the community.
Post a Comment
<< Home