There And Back Again, The Wanderings of an Unoriginal Bastard

Word on the street is that there are people that carefully plot out their entire lives. I am not one of those.

Name:
Location: Depends what day it is

So there I was, bored at work, when I think "Why not just quit my job and go to Europe for awhile?" Still can't think of a reason not to.

Monday, May 19, 2008

Rough week

So next week is a tough one. Today is the stat. Tomorrow is photocopier training (which sounds dumb but the damn thing is like 6' X 6' of computerized options and all I want is a single photocopy and why can't I just put the stupid paper onto the glass and hit the green button!!!

Oh yeah, then safety training (where I think they're going to start some fires so we can practice using fire extinguishers) so tomorrow is pretty much booked solid. Wednesday and Thursday there is the potential to actually get some work done (woot!) and then Friday is my EDO. So yeah, tough life.

In other news I've begun doing stuff that Furlak referred to as being "professional" and my mom would call "good news" in that I've started learning on my own time. As many of you are aware I've always considered that to be a bit of a chump plan but then I've never had a job I liked before that was doing stuff that, while incredibly boring objectively, I found interesting. To that end I've picked up a few training videos on how to use Microsoft products (2007) since there is a lot of functionality there I haven't ever used as well as spending some quality time learning the difference between a server and a desktop computer being used as a server. We're getting a new server at work so I started looking into it for personal interest since, and I quote, "Don't worry too much, we'll just contact our IT contract company and they'll select one for us." But I discovered I wanted to know.

Which was weird. Also I should mention that all this was on company time/dime (they own these instructional dvds you see) so I haven't gone completely bonkers. I think I'm going to look into what coursework I'd need in order to finish an Urban Planning style certificate since that's what I should have done 10 years ago instead of Sociology. Then I'll tell the County to pay for it.

My new Director of Planning and Development has already indicated he's open to my picking up some work in Permits and Licensing and so forth. Which I'm down with since while making maps is interesting, the other stuff pays better. That and the enterprise implementation we're working on should, fingers crossed, dramatically reduce the basic cartographic work I'm being called on to do since it will allow people to use templates to knock out about 90% of the basic mapping I'm called on to do. Not that I don't expect people to have me do it anyway, but the tools will be there.

I like my job. It's weird to say that. I've actually had to be told to go home once already.
Connie: "What are you doing?"
Me: "I'm just going to finish up QAing this township."
Connie: "No you're not. It's four thirty. Go home."
Which is weird since I'm usually the one chanting "3 2 1" and out the door!
But I guess it's that I'm being paid pretty well to do things that I see the value of. I mean rural addressing is boring. But I know how much easier it will be for utilities to be hooked up as well as basic emergency response so I see the value in the project which makes it alot easier to spend 7 hours a day pouring over map sheets to cross reference the aerial photos of the area with tax records to be certain that every address is assigned properly. Like I said. Objectively I know it's boring work. But it's necessary.

In other news I misunderstood Jeff and Rilla's travel plans and so arrived in Calgary about 2 hours after they left. Which is my bad. They were going to Edmonton to pick up a barbeque (and no, no one made any jokes about covers...I was being strong and Furlak forgot) and I could have seen them but I missed the boat. Which is sad. But I did get to see Furlak and watch both Pittsburgh advance to the Stanley cup finals (yay) as well as watching "Shoot 'em up" which was ummm...

Weird. Like I've seen the movie twice and I'm not entirely certain I like it weird. Paul Giammati is brilliantly psychotic. And the action is so over the top as to be artistic (I don't know how else to put it) but the themes of the movie are pretty bizarre. I think people should see it for the pretty pretty violence but keep in mind that this is a movie about bad men trying to kill a newborn baby. Just keep that in mind.

Stettler Sidenote: I've discovered "Jim's Video" which is strongly reminiscent of "49c Video" back in Saskatoon. Cheap movies, odd offerings such as this series in its entirety. I will probably spend some money there. Also the local theater only has one screen and two showtimes per day. It makes up for this by changing movies every week. I missed out on Ironman (which played for...that's right... one week) and have to admit I'm ok with that since I assumed I'd have about 3 months to see it given how small town theaters usually work.

Anyway, I'm going to go get going with my day. Today is "Finish unpacking" day since I picked up another car load of crap while I was in Calgary.

2 Comments:

Blogger cenobyte said...

I love that movie. "Shoot 'Em Up", I mean. It makes me happy.

Chez Relaxo is open most weekends, and Thursdays until 9.

6:35 PM  
Blogger Bne said...

And where would I find this "Chez Relaxo"? Cause with two little ones I don't think that's your house...

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home