There And Back Again, The Wanderings of an Unoriginal Bastard

Word on the street is that there are people that carefully plot out their entire lives. I am not one of those.

Name:
Location: Depends what day it is

So there I was, bored at work, when I think "Why not just quit my job and go to Europe for awhile?" Still can't think of a reason not to.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

You're muddying the brand!

On Highway 2 there is a stand which sells two things. Cherries and Seafood. And lets face facts shall we, the idea of roadside seafood in Alberta does not exactly inspire confidence in the quality of said items. But it's there and it terrifies me.

Safety day was rained out. I actually got my week completely wrong. Safety day was supposed to be tomorrow. Now when I think "safety day" I think of lectures and hand outs and boredom. Not so Stettler! Safety day was going to be a morning of a few lectures/pamphlets followed by putting out fires (literally!) then they feed us and finally (and this is the crucial part) the County sends us all off to play golf for the afternoon. Then dinner and you're out. So a day that starts with me playing with fire (ok, putting out fires....but still) and ends with getting paid to play golf. What's not to love?!?

But it rained all day today (hard actually) and so the course will be pretty much awful tomorrow. So safety day is next month. So sad.

In the spirit of Dilbert (well Dogbert) I have made a point of joining as many commitees and going to as many meetings as possible. Today we planned the big County Open House and Large Machinery Rodeo. It's a day for the public to come in and see the offices and get free stuff (including food of course) and the main entertainment consists of the "adult themed show from a clown" (I really am trying not to think about that. I'm just glad it's not an adult themed clown show, which is subtly...but importantly...different) as well as the Large Machinery Rodeo. That's not what they call it but rather what I've taken to calling it. Apparently the operators drive things like backhoes and graders through obstacle courses. My favorite is the egg carry course for the backhoes. Apparently they can deliver the egg unbroken. I think I'll have to get a digital camera soon so I can actually photograph this stuff.

In other news I've been keeping busy. Went to the gym yesterday as well as a little retail therapy at the local cooking store. I have new pots/pans as well as this colander which snaps together or lies flat when not in use. It's a pretty cool store. I also practiced my guitar until my fingers hurt (don't be impressed, I have dainty delicate fingers...it was like 20 minutes). I have E F and G down pretty much and now am working on not saying "E F G" when I play the notes. At this rate I may be able to play something meaningful for company by my 40th birthday. Or 50th if you're one of the people I lie to about my age (I like to tell people I'm 43, 280lbs and that I live in my parent's basement).

Oh, and before I forget. A big shout out to Buttery B for hooking me up with The Boondocks. I think I like it. Unfortunately the episode with Samuel L Jackson (voicing a white character interestingly enough) is also my least favorite.

6 Comments:

Blogger mmrilla said...

We saw that cherries and seafood stand too. We were suitably disturbed: LOBSTER TAILS. CHERRIES.

w.... t... f...

8:38 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

The thought of either an "adult themed show from a clown" or an "adult themed clown show" leave me whimpering in a corner with every hair on end.

Brrrr...

10:49 AM  
Blogger T. said...

Season 1 of "The Boondocks" is awesome. Keep your eyes peeled for season 2; it's on TV now, and it should be out on DVD soon.

Also, I just downloaded Space Hulk and I've been playing it all day. Jealous?

7:39 PM  
Blogger T. said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:39 PM  
Blogger cenobyte said...

I'm with amy on this one. I think you should practise your fire skilz at clown day by setting the clown on fire then beating it to death with a golf club. And leaving the smouldering corpse out in the rain.

What kind of cruel, sadistic employer forces their employees to watch clowns *at all*?

Run, Bne, run.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Bne said...

Since I'm aware that I can not take your advice on anything involving clowns (cause of the hate) I'm not going to murder the adult clown show guy. I also strongly doubt I'm going to actually watch the clown show either (cmon, it's a clown..f that noise).

Oh and T, yeah...Spacehulk is awesome. Bastard.

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home