No ties left for you!
I has an office, though it's not my permanent one since it belongs to the Director of Finance who is on Maternity leave. Shockingly she has a nice big office. By the time she's back I'll have inherited the GIS office (two screens!) since my mentor will be gone, it's smaller but still nice.
Nothing really exciting to report. Easy day which was good since I got woken up by a train whistle at 2am. Which made me laugh since I was so excited about *not* being woken up by sirens or drunks..but I guess the more things change the more things stay the same. I have it on good authority that is is an irregular occurrence so I'm not worried. I am, however, kind of exhausted and so this is probably going to be even more incoherent than my normal rambling posting style.
Other than that, I wore my purple pants (ok, yes...Grey) and a white shirt (which hurt me) and a nice tie and my blazer and I was a little overdressed. So no more ties for me since even the CAO (chief administrative officer) doesn't wear one. And Fridays are casual jean day too so yeah. Got my EDO schedule and next week I have a 3 day work week. Which is kinda cool.
Other than the fascinating world of clothing and schedules (exciting no? No!) I've gotten my first project which is to error check the Rural Addressing project for the county. Which consists of me going over the work of a company the County hired and checking that they locations they think are residences are in fact, as well as that they haven't missed any. It's dull, but I do get to judge other people's work so I kinda like it. I also made an educational map aid for someone (I forget who) which I was then told by my mentor would be about 80% of my day to day workload.
So yeah, settling in. Liking the pace and the people so far. Dealing with it being a primarily female workplace (see: sat awkwardly through a 15 minute discussion of when to stop breastfeeding during my coffee break) and getting to know Stettler.
More to report when there's more to report. Til then I'm doing pretty dang well.
Nothing really exciting to report. Easy day which was good since I got woken up by a train whistle at 2am. Which made me laugh since I was so excited about *not* being woken up by sirens or drunks..but I guess the more things change the more things stay the same. I have it on good authority that is is an irregular occurrence so I'm not worried. I am, however, kind of exhausted and so this is probably going to be even more incoherent than my normal rambling posting style.
Other than that, I wore my purple pants (ok, yes...Grey) and a white shirt (which hurt me) and a nice tie and my blazer and I was a little overdressed. So no more ties for me since even the CAO (chief administrative officer) doesn't wear one. And Fridays are casual jean day too so yeah. Got my EDO schedule and next week I have a 3 day work week. Which is kinda cool.
Other than the fascinating world of clothing and schedules (exciting no? No!) I've gotten my first project which is to error check the Rural Addressing project for the county. Which consists of me going over the work of a company the County hired and checking that they locations they think are residences are in fact, as well as that they haven't missed any. It's dull, but I do get to judge other people's work so I kinda like it. I also made an educational map aid for someone (I forget who) which I was then told by my mentor would be about 80% of my day to day workload.
So yeah, settling in. Liking the pace and the people so far. Dealing with it being a primarily female workplace (see: sat awkwardly through a 15 minute discussion of when to stop breastfeeding during my coffee break) and getting to know Stettler.
More to report when there's more to report. Til then I'm doing pretty dang well.

1 Comments:
You think fifteen minutes talking about breastfeeding is awkward? Try sitting through an hour-long tutorial while 25 girls talk about the day they got their first periods.
Actually, I think most of the girls were more uncomfortable than I was that day.
Post a Comment
<< Home