There And Back Again, The Wanderings of an Unoriginal Bastard

Word on the street is that there are people that carefully plot out their entire lives. I am not one of those.

Name:
Location: Depends what day it is

So there I was, bored at work, when I think "Why not just quit my job and go to Europe for awhile?" Still can't think of a reason not to.

Monday, May 12, 2008

"If I had my way, all my tenants would be gay"

Thus spoketh my landlady after telling me not to mind the gay couple across the hall if I saw them "smooching". I told her I'd working in restaurants long enough not to even remotely be bothered and she nodded and came out with (heh) that quote. Apparently she has a few gay tenants and "they're all really neat, and polite, and just a dream to rent to".

Yup, I'm in Stettler. Despite the best efforts of the gas station I picked my Uhaul up at I managed to get the truck and auto transport. Like seriously, here's how it went. I got directions from the guy over the phone on Friday ("Go up Crowchild, you can see the Husky sign from the street.") which took some doing through his accent. For the record the Husky is about 8 blocks off Crowchild. So when I call him and say "I'm coming up on X (I don't remember the street name)" he says "You definitely want to turn on that to get to us!"
Me: "Ok, North or South"
Him (and I'm not making this up): "I don't know."

Thankfully Malcolm rules and Furlak called him and he gave us directions that got us to this guy's gas station. Except by the time we got there we were an hour late and he'd gone home. So we had to hang out about half an hour waiting for him to come back since the other guy there (while really nice) had no idea how to do the Uhaul paperwork. Long story short I pick up my 1:30pm rental at around 4, loaded by 6 and on the road. Towed my baby to Stettler (taking 4 hours to drive about 250km) and got in at 10. Unloaded and back on the road at midnight and back in Calgary at 2am. Crashed, up, loaded car/picked up some urgently needed supplies (toilet paper), breakfast with Furlak, back on the road at noon. So all in all 10 hours on the road.

A HUGE thank you to the Furlak for coming with me to unload. Also for his motivational speech ("There's no way you can be fully packed in one day.") which drove me to get it all done. A big thanks to Malcolm for knowing the area better than the business owner did. My new landlady Yvonne for letting me move in despite leaving my cheque book in Calgary. And TELUS for coming up with a cell phone plan where I keep my Calgary number but don't pay roaming or long distance charges anymore. Seriously! Any call I make in Canada is considered to be a local call so I have 200 minutes during the day and evenings and weekends free. Which is awesome since next weekend I'm back in Calgary to help Furlak arrange furniture and clean and stuff ("He did put you up for free for a year. Probably you can do alot more for him than just cleaning his apartment once." -My mom) and then the next weekend in Edmonton. The next weekend I might stay in Stettler (and yes Rilla, get my picture taken with The Thresher) depending on how everyone is doing and how I'm feeling. So yeah, the new phone plan (while not cheap) will make my life alot more livable. This is the first time I've moved somewhere wherein I knew no one. I might have been a little lonely yesterday.

But I'm all better now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home