I play too much WoW
So today was spent in pursuit (admittedly sub-consciouly) of the answer to a question I've asked myself off and on for years.
What would I do if I didn't play WoW?
While it is likely, given past experience, that this is just a phase and that my addiction will blossom full strength again soon the facts of the matter are that I haven't particularly wanted to play WoW in about a week (oooh....a whole week). Don't get me wrong, I've played and played alot but that had more to do with not having anything else to do. Or the money to do it.
So today I thought I had to raid tonight (an odd statement I admit, but I am one of the leaders of the guild so I do have a commitment that goes beyond my own wants and needs). I'd already bailed on Thursday's raid (school work) and so I didn't feel I could miss two in a row. However I did have other things that needed doing so I sat down and decided that I wouldn't play WoW all day until the raid so I'd get them done. I, in no particular order:
Went to the grocery store
Studied for my quiz tomorrow
Applied for about 4 (maybe 5...there was a bit of a frenzy at one point) jobs
Read a couple chapters in a novel ("Deadhouse Gates" by Steven Erikson.)
Took back the rental car
put my laundry away
I did play WoW for a bit in the middle there. I have a character that I based off a character in the Erikson series so the bug bit me a little but after about 20 mins I got bored and went back to the book.
It's just that I have so much to do. And so much I want to do (hello the gym...yes body I hear you...if I'd been going more often I'd hurt less today) that I'm not sure how much time I can spare. Gotta get assignments done, find a job, start being a good earner so I can pay down some debts and actually start having a life again.
But y'all have heard this song before. And no, I'm not quitting or anything. I'm addicted like a smoker except that my addiction won't give me cancer.
Just wanted to write that...since I don't feel the urge to play WoW at the moment. I think I'll go do dishes. Or maybe get my stuff ready for tomorrow.
What would I do if I didn't play WoW?
While it is likely, given past experience, that this is just a phase and that my addiction will blossom full strength again soon the facts of the matter are that I haven't particularly wanted to play WoW in about a week (oooh....a whole week). Don't get me wrong, I've played and played alot but that had more to do with not having anything else to do. Or the money to do it.
So today I thought I had to raid tonight (an odd statement I admit, but I am one of the leaders of the guild so I do have a commitment that goes beyond my own wants and needs). I'd already bailed on Thursday's raid (school work) and so I didn't feel I could miss two in a row. However I did have other things that needed doing so I sat down and decided that I wouldn't play WoW all day until the raid so I'd get them done. I, in no particular order:
Went to the grocery store
Studied for my quiz tomorrow
Applied for about 4 (maybe 5...there was a bit of a frenzy at one point) jobs
Read a couple chapters in a novel ("Deadhouse Gates" by Steven Erikson.)
Took back the rental car
put my laundry away
I did play WoW for a bit in the middle there. I have a character that I based off a character in the Erikson series so the bug bit me a little but after about 20 mins I got bored and went back to the book.
It's just that I have so much to do. And so much I want to do (hello the gym...yes body I hear you...if I'd been going more often I'd hurt less today) that I'm not sure how much time I can spare. Gotta get assignments done, find a job, start being a good earner so I can pay down some debts and actually start having a life again.
But y'all have heard this song before. And no, I'm not quitting or anything. I'm addicted like a smoker except that my addiction won't give me cancer.
Just wanted to write that...since I don't feel the urge to play WoW at the moment. I think I'll go do dishes. Or maybe get my stuff ready for tomorrow.

3 Comments:
It's the socialization aspect that really draws people into WoW. People are drawn in by the sense of community, especially in the case of guilds and raid groups.
For myself, I'm finding it dreadfully boring to get past 63. Soooo dull and time consuming. Ugh. Yes, I'm part of a small guild but I mainly prefer solo-ing since WoW is a casual past-time for me. Maybe I'd feel differently if I was part of a larger guild and ran instances more, but I honestly don't want to spend any more time on the game than I am right now.
It's true. My druid was the first time I've enjoyed leveling in years (like actually enjoyed the process instead of the result). I also find that I solo alot more when I'm stressed since I don't want the social aspect of it, but you're totally right. Part of my lack of motivation is that 60-70 is so damn boring.
The changes to the 1-60 leveling curve were what made me want to start a new character in a guild with some of the other guys from work. It was fast enough that I actually didn't get bored. Post-60 was interesting at first (cool new world environments), but then the grind set in and it made it really painful to advance. Since I'm a fairly casual player a lot of the goals for high-end players (raids, etc.) were just lost on me, so I really am finding it hard to continue. Still, I am determined to get at least 1 character to 70...
Post a Comment
<< Home