There And Back Again, The Wanderings of an Unoriginal Bastard

Word on the street is that there are people that carefully plot out their entire lives. I am not one of those.

Name:
Location: Depends what day it is

So there I was, bored at work, when I think "Why not just quit my job and go to Europe for awhile?" Still can't think of a reason not to.

Friday, February 22, 2008

Oh Visio, you whore

So I know I haven't posted much in recent times, and I can't help but feel somewhat responsible since I haven't done anything interesting what needs recounting. But this week I did get the lovely experience of getting to design, and export, a working geodatabase schema from Visio.

I know...I'm exciting like a comic book villain right. But what makes this cool is that:
1) I've never used Visio before
2) The "tutorial" we were given as a guide is aimed at an experienced Visio user
3) The instructor was mostly unavailable this week and also didn't really know Visio that well
4) On the final phase of the process you get an error called "Unknown Error". I am not making that up.

That last one was the source of about 5 hours worth of threats, cajoling, profanity, tears, more profanity, and finally just a small dose of unrelenting hate. What ended up saving the day was that yesterday, after another two hours of the above, our instructor (apon finding out that our entire lab was stalled on these "Unknown Error" messages) says "That's odd, maybe it's the machines because everyone in the other lab got it done with no problems".

So I book it across the hall (one can only take so many hours of truth tables) and after some discrete inquiries determine that, in fact, only 2 people in the other lab have gotten it to work.

I will entitle the remainder of this post "An Ode to Chris and Aura, For They Have Saved My Sanity".

I'm not going to go into the details of it, but suffice to say that the reason it wasn't working was so completely unintuitive and not covered in the tutorial and basically if it hadn't been for those two I think I'd be in police custody for hate crimes directed at a machine (and institution somewhat).

But I'm not. It worked and I got home before 7pm.

Yay!

In other news SAIT sent a collection agency after me for $152 that I owed them that they couldn't be bothered to tell me I owed them. *That* was a whole different thing. Apparently my program (which is struggling to justify its existence it would seem) has us sign up for an elective but it doesn't do the paperwork right so the elective is not included in the calculation sent to student loans. I did, again discretely, inquire as to why I had to hear it from a collection agency when I'm on campus 5-7 days a week. Finance blamed Customer Service and Customer Service blamed Finance. I'm only mentioning this because SAIT gave the collection agency my parents phone number first (seriously, my mom called last night) and only gave the agency *my* number since my mom wouldn't do it.

My opinion of SAIT is not particularly high. As one of my classmates said "Blockbuster called me 4 times and sent me three letters about a restocking fee. One would hope that SAIT could be as organized as a video store."

In other news there really isn't any other news. Two more months til I'm out of this program and complaining about a job instead.

Two more months til I start being a good little earner.

Two more months til I can start thinking about having a social life again.

Oh, before I forget...

ROCK BAND IS AWESOME!

Angel Obsidian (named after a real person born last year in Alberta somewhere) is my guitar player, and Jaime is my singer (I probably should restart my singer since Jaime is kind of a weak name) and it's awesome.

3 Comments:

Blogger T. said...

Have you seen Metalocalypse? If no, do. In the meantime, name your new singer "Nathan Explosion". Then watch Metalocalypse.

10:49 PM  
Blogger neuba said...

When's your next visit??? Miss you! And really, it is your turn. :)

10:52 AM  
Blogger Bne said...

I know right, and soonish...which is like soon but not soon.

Nathan Explosion is an awesome name, I shall investigate this "Metalocaylpse" of which you speak.

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home