There And Back Again, The Wanderings of an Unoriginal Bastard

Word on the street is that there are people that carefully plot out their entire lives. I am not one of those.

Name:
Location: Depends what day it is

So there I was, bored at work, when I think "Why not just quit my job and go to Europe for awhile?" Still can't think of a reason not to.

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Working hard or hardly working?

Three dimensional cookie cutters! So cool.

Was so tired yesterday I crashed at 10, which is sad, then woke up at 2, which was sadder, but back to sleep by 3ish and so I got a decent nights sleep overall.

I got the best news ever yesterday when I found out that the group project I was starting to get stress headaches about is not for marks. This is a three person group. My group mates (which I will call "Parker" and "The Spaniard" cause it makes sense to me)...well some background.

Parker is Asian. His english is not very good. He's also employed by the IT help desk and I can honestly say after working closely with him that it's probably because of stereotyping since he's barely more technically literate than I am.

The Spaniard is Ukranian (no I won't explain why I call him The Spaniard, trust me, it makes sense) and his english is also not very good. He seems to particularly not like Parker though.

So in essence for an hour every Tuesday the two of them would snipe at each other, through me, and make fun of each others ideas. And we wouldn't get anything done, and I'd start developing this eye twitch and stress headaches and have to walk away every 10 minutes to clear my head. But now I can totally relax and just try to learn from the experience. So not only am I designing a database model (we're currently relating entities into a schema) I'm also mastering conflict resolution in small groups. Which seems to mostly consist of ignoring the sniping and focusing on statements like "Ok, but we really need to do this now".

In other news, I think I may have some traveling in my near future. I'm looking at going home for Christmas for the first time in a couple of years. I'll probably be in Saskatoon for like a week or two, which will be nice since I don't think I've had that long of a chance to hang with people in a few years as well.

Also, very tentatively, I think I may take a jaunt out West to Cali-for-ni-a as a mini-vacation after my course completes but before I start the practicum. So it'd be like in April/May. Of course it would be alot more likely if:
1) The ever amazing Amy and Rando offered to let me stay with them
2) Maybe it would be kinda cool if a few people all booked say two weeks off around that time and we did a car pool/road trip? I've done the drive and it's kind of fun as long as you don't leave your map in random places. I'm looking specifically at people that I haven't seen in a while who also haven't been to Cali (coughBRENNANcough).

So yeah, good day/week so far!

And yes Ceno, I am a cheap bastard, and I don't like email...lack of tone causes Bne issues when he's trying to be funny.

4 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

"Which seems to mostly consist of ignoring the sniping and focusing on statements like "Ok, but we really need to do this now"."

You have indeed summed up the basics. It's really all just variations on this.

By the way, I never, ever in a million jillion years thought I'd hear you say that you were relating entities into a schema. Way to subvert my paradigm!

And HELL TO THE YEAH! about the car pool hosting idea, however many that car pool happens to be. We'll find room. We can put up five in comfort (as long as two of them consider sharing a double bed "comfortable")... can definitely squeeze in a couple past that, and any more we'd have to consider tents in the yard, but HELL YEAH!

10:25 AM  
Blogger Bne said...

I never thought I'd say "relating entities into a schema" and actually have any idea what I was talking about. I'm not just subverting your paradigm, I'm synergizing it!

I will begin making subtle hints to others than. We shall craft a plan so clever you could call it a weasel.

6:38 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

"We shall craft a plan so clever you could call it a weasel."

Cunning. It must be cunning. A plan so cunning you could brush your teeth with it.

2:25 PM  
Blogger cenobyte said...

Can i brush my teeth with your weasel, too?

Wait.

No...damn it, now I've gone and got my metaphors all mixed up.

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home