There And Back Again, The Wanderings of an Unoriginal Bastard

Word on the street is that there are people that carefully plot out their entire lives. I am not one of those.

Name:
Location: Depends what day it is

So there I was, bored at work, when I think "Why not just quit my job and go to Europe for awhile?" Still can't think of a reason not to.

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Happy Birthday to me!

I'm totally stealing Amy's thing with the song lyrics for titles. As well as blatantly failing to update more often.

Anywho, today is in fact the day of my birth, and therefore the culmination of centuries of human evolution since obviously tall, lazy, and whiny are the human ideals. To that end I have already done the single tradition that I follow. A solitary listening to "Happy Birthday to Me" by Cracker
who are only the best band ever.

This will be a good birthday, it will be hard to top 2001 though, when I got to go see Cracker live the weekend before, but still. Even as we speak I'm supposed to be at a breakfast brunch (which I think has been changed, but don't know for sure) but unfortuantely Coris' cel is off, and my cel is in Calgary so I don't know what Shelly's number is.

Ok, I just finished reading the amazing Amy's blog entry (and more importantly the comments). I liked 300, I liked it alot. I didn't feel it was republican propaganda for the war (Everyone dies) but rather a health and fitness promotion. In the immortal words of Lorne "Well, I got to go home and do about a million situps." Of course I'm not a slave to hollywood so I just played WoW. I do enjoy refering to it as being 300 underwear models killing people for two hours.

Ok, so the all important "What does Ben want for his Birthday?" List.

1) Finger 11 album with that new song on it.
2) Band Of Brothers Box set (this should probably be #1, but I'm lazy). One of my fondest memories is kicking it old school with Rando and watching this.

Ok, actually getting to be there when he bought it was sweet too. It was just before xmas, and I was hanging with the Amy when Rando came in all excited.
"Sweetie! Look what I got today!!!" Rany holds up the box set.
"Take it back." Says Amy in, I felt, a fairly controlled tone.
"But it's Band of Brothers, this is this amazing miniseries..."Randy goes on a minute about it.
"Take it back" Amy begins to sound somewhat annoyed.
"What kind of idiot goes shopping the week before christmas?" Although it sounds like a question, Rando and I are both aware it is rhetorical.
"Well, I ummm" Rando's enthusiasm begins to fade in the face of what Amy is saying.
"Well Ben, what kind of fool. What kind of moron goes out and buys something the week before christmas. What kind of total idiot goes out and buys the ONE THING HE'S BEEN TALKING ABOUT FOR OVER A MONTH, when he's the hardest person to shop for ON THE PLANET. Take it back"
"Oop" Randy looks sheepish. "I'll just take it back then."

It was too funny. I hope I did it justice in the retelling. It's particularly poignant to me these days since I had an almost identical moment with Erin at Christmas time. I had to go from "Or you could not buy anything before Christmas" to "Or you could *not* buy yourself that *particular* album." It ruined the surprise, but it was all good.

Anyway, back to the list.

3) The Office Season 3 (ok it's not out on DvD, but I wants it!)
I've recently discovered the joy of owning seasons on DvD.

4) A new housecoat. Ok I'm cheating a little since I got one in the mail from my parents...but it's awesome! Erin has forbidden me to greet her co-workers wearing only it (apparently they've heard stories). Ok, to be fair she told me I should take it off before her coworker came over cause it looked odd, so I offered to take all my other clothes off so it would look normal.

Apparently that was not the correct option.

Anyway, I'm gonna drag my lazy butt down to the blue plate. Since no one has emailed or called, I'm gonna assume I'm late and a jerk.

Oh, and we haven't got the test results back. Which may be good news since the medical communities new policy is "If we don't call, be happy". Personally I prefer the "Hey, everythings fine" phone call policy rather than guessing that it's been two weeks and they probably have the results back and they probably have looked at them and there's nothing.

But hey, I'm no doctor.

Update: Shelly just called. I am not late (I would say neither late nor a jerk...but you know)

6 Comments:

Blogger neuba said...

Happy Birthday Bne!

I was just remarking to Jeff in the car on Friday that I thought your birthday was coming up and I hoped to hell that I didn't miss it.

Glad I didn't. Have a great day! I hope you don't have to work.

We should try and get together early this week for a belated celebration.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Soc_Chick said...

Happe Birthday Bne!

5:37 PM  
Blogger Soc_Chick said...

So apparently I can't spell today. It should say Happy.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Electric Maenad said...

Happy birthday!

If I'd known earlier, I'd have arranged for S. to go up to Edmonton and lurk around in your living room in his skivvies to surprise / startle you when you got home.

Yes, I realize I could also have done this. Don't hold your breath.

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to not die for another year!
whoo!

1:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

And still all of your teeth. More amazing every year.

I tried very hard, but...

Box set? I don't get that. It's usually only one box, which hardly makes a set in my mind. It's a set of movies in a box. I.e. they've been boxed. Doesn't that make more sense? Doesn't it?

Of course, Bne being Bne, I have to wonder if he wroted box set several times just to check if that Big Red Button of mine is still operational. Anyway, happe brithday. (grin)

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home