There And Back Again, The Wanderings of an Unoriginal Bastard

Word on the street is that there are people that carefully plot out their entire lives. I am not one of those.

Name:
Location: Depends what day it is

So there I was, bored at work, when I think "Why not just quit my job and go to Europe for awhile?" Still can't think of a reason not to.

Monday, July 31, 2006

Oh sleep, you filthy tease of a wench

It is now 4:42am London time and I am still not asleep. This does not bode well for the remainder of my week, or would not anyway if I had anything planned for the next two days.

However it does mean that I have been able to get a little organized about this bad boy. So here we go. Be forewarned this is going to be a long post.

1) The postcards:
I find it interesting that I mailed all of the postcards on exactly the same day, and yet they have arrived scattered over 11 days so far. Rest assured those of you that live with someone that I sent one to (if that made any sense at all) that with the exception of Terry (I couldn't remember her last name) and David (I plain old ran out of postcards) will recieve a card as well as I didn't want to be rude.

2) For Amy (and others of like ilk)

3) The pictures to go with:
a) JM and Fairy
b) The best hotel on the planet, oh and yes this is the mediteranian sea 5 feet away.

4) For T-Dog and B-Unit and Yaschuk and actually alot of people I know. Sometimes I am a child. I do deeply regret failing to get a photo of the "Humps at Zebra Crossing" sign... le sigh.

5) The Globe theatre doing Anthony and Cleopatra.
This was beyond a shadow of a doubt the best Shakespeare thing EVER!!! Ok, so not only did they "involve the crowd" in that if you were in the yard (standing room only but you can lean on the stage) the villains spit seeds on you, and there was some flinging of water out on us and directed lines where you could see how the S man would work the crowd into things (Caesar commenting on the stench of lesser creatures while staring straight down at the crowd). It really was as good as the hype and even though I was standing for 3 hours I regret nothing. I would go everyday if I could (and if I could afford it since the standing yard is five quid per show (about $12can) and the seated area...sigh.

The set was amazing, they used both levels of it by winching up the actors when called for. The sound system is actually musicians and the actors (they stay "true to the space" so no speakers) but the acoustics are perfect. The only issue I had at all is that one of Cleopatra's ladies in waiting had an Irish accent. Speaking of which, the actress who played Cleopatra was amazing. She stole the show with her Cleopatra. I thought the ovation at the end was loud, but when she came out the crowd went a little nuts. Speaking of which (the ovation, not nuts) they did this very cool thing where all the Romans came out to a very militairy tune and they danced their bows, then the Egyptians came out to a very Persian tune (and a new dance) and then the musicians blended the two songs into a third and the entire cast did this bowing/flowing dance. Which is when pretty much the entire theatre but me started taking photos...damn my obedient soul.

Go, go now, see everything they do. I promise you will never ever regret it.

And yes, that is my awesome sunburn from falling asleep in Ibiza on the beach. Sigh

6) I don't remember the name of this place but it has the grave what Terry wanted a photo of, so I went there. And it was tres cool. It's a little weird looking at the graves of people that have been dead since before we were a country though. Oh, and yes I told Flickr to rotate the photos. Flickr appears to be telling me to rotate something...but I digress. I sort of wish I'd done the tour of the East side, since apparently it's even pretties, but time was of the essence.

7) This is where I got a rock for the ever so loving and gentle Cenobyte. It really is the only reason to go to Ibiza...unless you're an annoying raver kid living off his parent's credit card (1500 euro for a tshirt...I kid you not). I find it interesting that Ibiza was also the first place I saw a humvee...

And that pretty much catches y'all up to date on my recent events. Sorry not to jump into any meaningful details, but tired...

Oh, and there are other photos not featured here at the flickr site. If you are so inclined. Until next time cool kids...

6 Comments:

Blogger cenobyte said...

Yay! A rock from someplace you hated!

You think of everything.

10:02 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

1) Highgate Cemetary

2) I'm amazed that you. Mr. Literal, didn't realize that the bows at the end are *NOT* part of the performance. So you could have taken pictures and still been obedient. You'll just have to go back. :)

9:54 AM  
Blogger Bne said...

Yay for she that knows all!
Even if you ruined Christmas.

I'm trying to be less literal,so that things like this happen less:
"Where are you going?"
"Butte, Montana"
"And what are you doing there?"
"Sleeping"
*sound of Amy punching Ben*
"I mean we're going to California to visit friends."

Still surprised we didn't get searched...

12:58 PM  
Blogger neuba said...

No worries....I got a humped zebra crossing.

Hee hee. Aren't they great?

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much BNE!!!
My day was long and boring at work and these photos have turned it around.

Thansk again, enjoy yourself...and hopefully you are back by November 4th (tentative date).

By they way my name ends in an I and my last name is Capeling. If you are my gramma though you can spell Terri either: Terry, Teri, Terrie, Terie.

Thanks again.

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude...

Everyone knows that Ibiza's done. The happening place now is Reykjavik. Or possibly Tel Aviv, when it's not being bombed. :P

(Actually, I've no idea.)

Good to know you're having fun. I am envious as hell.

11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home