There's nothing I don't like about snap decisions
So, in the spirit of the trip I have waited nearly a week before making this announcement. I, you see, am no longer in Europe. I wanted to wait a bit so that I could surprise as many people as possible (including my roomate who is very considerate) but now the majority either know, or should know, so here it is.
So there I was on the beach in Formentera when it hits me. "I think I'm done here"I thinks, what with visiting Stephen, Sophia, and JP. And seeing a big chunk of London and even some nice Spanish beaches and country. So I lie there, sipping my cerveca, and thinking about the several reasons for my trip and realise several key things.
1) I don't like tourists.
2) I am a tourist.
3) I have this whole life waiting for me back in the world which I am pretty excited about.
4) Much as I enjoyed Waitering, I don't want to do it anymore.
So I call Air Canada and change my flight back. It only takes 5 phone calls, after spending a fruitless 20 minutes or so on their webpage ("I would rather wallow in pig s**T then use your webpage again" I beleive was the quote?) in order to find out that it's either Monday the 31st, or August 17th apparently (unless I want to pay another 600 quid).
So I fly out Monday. Sunday night is the Globe, than sleep, then sneak attack from JP and Stephen at 2am when they arrive home from the pubs, then up and off riding the tube to Heathrow. I meet Christin (could be Kristin, I don't know) in the line for security. She's going to Ghana (which I am certain I've misspelled) but of course is from Edmonton. We chat about places to live and, upon discovering she is a nursing student, swap nursing stories including the "Adult Pretzel" story. Yes indead, Sean will never escape it. Then on a plane and one bad movie and two good ones (Firewall = bad; Lion King and...I don't recall the other to be honest) later I am in Calgary again. I head home and then proceed to wait up for the Furlak so I can surprise him with "Want to get a pizza? I'm hungry."
Except he never freaking comes home. So at around 10:30 or so (Chris claims earlier, but he lies) I finally crash (come on, it's 5am to my brain) and miss his return by a mere 30 minutes or so. Now Chris is assuming I'm going to mock him at this point...which I am not. I, or Suz, will tell you the story if you ask though.
So anyway, home again home again jiggedy jig. Then flew into Edmonton wednesday (and got a nice happy dance from Shelly) and now am sitting in front of a computer in Edmonton having likely secured myself an apartment and need only to find a job now.
I declare this experiment concluded. I'll be keeping the blog (I like being the last person to join a trend, let's me keep my neo-luddite rep) and I'll be updating it as I see fit. I expect it will generate less enthusiasm as it will be a little more mundane than it was before, but I'll try to lead, as Calvin would say, an epic life.
We now return you to your regularly scheduled lives.
So there I was on the beach in Formentera when it hits me. "I think I'm done here"I thinks, what with visiting Stephen, Sophia, and JP. And seeing a big chunk of London and even some nice Spanish beaches and country. So I lie there, sipping my cerveca, and thinking about the several reasons for my trip and realise several key things.
1) I don't like tourists.
2) I am a tourist.
3) I have this whole life waiting for me back in the world which I am pretty excited about.
4) Much as I enjoyed Waitering, I don't want to do it anymore.
So I call Air Canada and change my flight back. It only takes 5 phone calls, after spending a fruitless 20 minutes or so on their webpage ("I would rather wallow in pig s**T then use your webpage again" I beleive was the quote?) in order to find out that it's either Monday the 31st, or August 17th apparently (unless I want to pay another 600 quid).
So I fly out Monday. Sunday night is the Globe, than sleep, then sneak attack from JP and Stephen at 2am when they arrive home from the pubs, then up and off riding the tube to Heathrow. I meet Christin (could be Kristin, I don't know) in the line for security. She's going to Ghana (which I am certain I've misspelled) but of course is from Edmonton. We chat about places to live and, upon discovering she is a nursing student, swap nursing stories including the "Adult Pretzel" story. Yes indead, Sean will never escape it. Then on a plane and one bad movie and two good ones (Firewall = bad; Lion King and...I don't recall the other to be honest) later I am in Calgary again. I head home and then proceed to wait up for the Furlak so I can surprise him with "Want to get a pizza? I'm hungry."
Except he never freaking comes home. So at around 10:30 or so (Chris claims earlier, but he lies) I finally crash (come on, it's 5am to my brain) and miss his return by a mere 30 minutes or so. Now Chris is assuming I'm going to mock him at this point...which I am not. I, or Suz, will tell you the story if you ask though.
So anyway, home again home again jiggedy jig. Then flew into Edmonton wednesday (and got a nice happy dance from Shelly) and now am sitting in front of a computer in Edmonton having likely secured myself an apartment and need only to find a job now.
I declare this experiment concluded. I'll be keeping the blog (I like being the last person to join a trend, let's me keep my neo-luddite rep) and I'll be updating it as I see fit. I expect it will generate less enthusiasm as it will be a little more mundane than it was before, but I'll try to lead, as Calvin would say, an epic life.
We now return you to your regularly scheduled lives.

4 Comments:
Huh.
That's interesting.
Particularly since "we" may be in Calgary later this week. But I'm not going to tell you when or if because you like surprises.
Grrrr....
Fine, then you don't get your rock!
In your face spaceman!
Welcome home!
Oh, I'll get my rock.
Post a Comment
<< Home