There And Back Again, The Wanderings of an Unoriginal Bastard

Word on the street is that there are people that carefully plot out their entire lives. I am not one of those.

Name:
Location: Depends what day it is

So there I was, bored at work, when I think "Why not just quit my job and go to Europe for awhile?" Still can't think of a reason not to.

Friday, April 03, 2009

I guess if I was forced to retire...

So I had a meeting with a financial planner the other day to discuss my current lack of said plans. Which is odd because I generally do enjoy the whole "planning" concept.

She asked me an odd question. "When do you want to retire?"

I thought about it for a few minutes and then told her that, given that I enjoy my work and it's more like a fun hobby to come into work rather than an obligation, and that I will continue to accumulate vacation days as I gain seniority in my field (it is not out of line to expect that I will be able to have 4-6 weeks of vacation in ten years from now) and that I don't have any deep desire to explore the world...

That I would like to retire about the time that the milk regularly dribbles down my chin when I eat cereal. And no, that is not now thank you very much.

Apparently she wanted an actual age. I went with 75.

I guess that's odd. But really considering that the current career path I have charted out (see what I mean about liking to plan things) has me breaking into six figures in the next decade as well as the growing vacation time benefit...I'm looking at getting paid excellent money to do work I enjoy while still having a ton of time to visit/travel. So why would I want to quit?

As well my career options are incredibly gypsy-ish in that if I want to live somewhere, the odds are I can get a job there readily without it hurting my ambitions. So again. Why retire.

"You're single aren't you" She said.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Clark said...

"No ma'am, I married my career."

5:04 PM  
Blogger cenobyte said...

I'd just like to let you know that in my job, I got 4 weeks of vacation after three years of working there.

I cock.

10:53 PM  
Blogger Bne said...

You do indeed cock!

Stupid Saskatchewan with the extra week of vacation initially...sigh

7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home