Updating in a timely manner is for suckers
In the interests of completing the vacation report in something resembling a timely manner I'm going to summarize more and provide fewer photos. Besides, I have about 12-15 "pretty" photos but really nature is nature and it all looks pretty much the same. I'll probably do supplemental picture dumps at some point.
Highlights of the remaining drive. Getting semi-searched at the border as the guard, seeing our snowboarding gear, had me pop the trunk. Sadly for said guard he decided to search the smaller bag I had which was my "underwear and socks" bag, so he called it a day pretty quickly on that idea. Also driving through Seattle (and again may I rant about the Canadian obsession with adding traffic lights on ring/through roads..I mean seriously as a planner I intend to do everything in my power to help stop this idiocy!) was very nice as was Astoria (our stop that day). I have many photos from Astoria including the ludicrously long bridge you drive across to get there. The "Pig n' Pancake" ("steaks and seafood") place we had the best damn breakfast I've ever had at a restaurant. Seriously. Stupid name, great french toast. Also Furlak claims his omelette was made by "highly trained omelette technicians". We're big fans. Anyway, let me know and I'll send you some.
Then we drove the Scenic Biway for half the day. It was gorgeous if you like that sort of thing (Nature! It's ALL OVER ME!!!) and also a very plesant relaxing drive. So I drove and Furlak took photos and "gained sustanence for his soul" or some such. Apparently nature provides the nourishment I get from the tears of small children. Who knew?
However in addition to being only a 55 mph road, there are also little towns like every 10 miles. So we had to stop alot and were not making the kind of time I needed (Elf needs to write a crappy essay for a course and submit it by Friday night...Elf needs to get to San Jose sooner than in a week or so) so we pulled off to the I-5 and blazed onward into California.
Sidenote: What the crap is with Oregon and Espresso stands? I mean little "shacks with an expresso machine and a cash register" stands not like chains or anything. There were seriously stands every 20 feet or so in these towns. Apparently Oregonians cannot go a full minute in between shots or something. It was weird.
So we crashed somewhere that night (it wasn't memorable other than the bad mexican food we had for dinner...which was deeply saddening) and I continued my new found love of NCIS which I enjoy because of the character interactions and not really because of the science. Though they do tend to have more realistice return times on tests than..say..CSI. It's also kind of a big navy recruitment poster show, but fun nonetheless. How can you not love Mark Harmon playing a character named "Jethro"?
The next day we pushed on to San Jose. Met up with Rando at Cryptic and got the tour. Then good mexican food (yay!) and home to introduce Furlak to Venture Bros!
More to come!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home