There And Back Again, The Wanderings of an Unoriginal Bastard

Word on the street is that there are people that carefully plot out their entire lives. I am not one of those.

Name:
Location: Depends what day it is

So there I was, bored at work, when I think "Why not just quit my job and go to Europe for awhile?" Still can't think of a reason not to.

Monday, March 16, 2009

Things what haven't died in my apartment yet

Life continues here in the Stett. I'm off to Edmonton for my final in person courses for my certificate this week, then it's all online all the time to complete...whoppeee...sigh

I almost applied to work for For Mac. However Ironman was kind enough to take a half hour out of his day to talk me out of it (ok, not exactly. He actually advised that I apply for the practice but not take the job if offered) which is good because apparently the amazing Suz would have murdered me if I'd actually taken said job. I found the posting on Tuesday, and it was closing on Friday, so I just ran out of time to apply. Which is for the best. Johan says the next month is going to be boring here (planning side anyway) but that I'll be kept busy.

I took on a second little brother. I may have mentioned this previously. Jesse is pretty cool. He's very different from Justin so it's a nice counterpoint. I've been able to work both into my schedule and the fact that we can do three person rock band helps (though I haven't booked both on the same day yet. I'd prefer to keep the one on one aspect of the dynamic as long as possible since I certainly don't want them competing for attention).

I "get" to conduct an interview for the local paper about the rural addressing project that is now heading into its second year over budget. Yay me. It does represent my first interview though, which will be good practice for life as a planner. Also it will be an interesting test to see if I can actually be appropriate on command. Hopefully I'll get some advance notice so I can be sure to look nice and not be too tired and therefore "honest" about this project.

I (so many "I" messages this post) also got some goldfish last week. One of my co-workers gave me her old 20 gallon tank so I picked up a filter and four goldfish. The nice lady at the store told me that since the fish would be "cycling" the tank that it was likely that they would die so I didn't want to get too attached to them. As such I've named them "Experimental Group 1" with the specific names of Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, and Delta. Or EG1-a, EG1-b etc depending on my mood. I've since learned that I've done almost everything wrong (hooray for the internet) and so it is a minor miracle that they didn't die in the first twenty four hours. Also I put the tank in the sun (No no) as well as probably over-feeding them already. That being said I've been reading that Goldfish can go for up to three weeks without food, so I'm not having them fed this week while I'm away.

Sidenote: Although 4 is the most fish a 20gallon tank should have, I'd already decided not to get more since logically the next one would be named "Echo" and I really can't stand Dollhouse, so there is no way I'm going to even accidentally name a fish after Eliza Dushko in that show. Sorry fanboys, no dice!

Alpha is kind of the gimp of the lot (someone bit off half his back fin) and also is almost entirely albino. He gets around ok though. Bravo has slightly more orange markings. Charlie and Delta look almost identical except that Delta is slightly larger. That being said Charlie is looking to be the smartest of the lot (which is kind of like being the tallest midget really) since he's the quickest to get food and also was the first fish to realize that the food starts off at the top of the tank.

In other news, Cactus Jack (my cactus) has flowered very prettily. Though it does freak me out a little to see bright pink buds on it. He's also taken getting knocked onto the floor (during fishtank installation) and the resulting loss of an arm pretty well. Aubrey and Plantey continue to do very well and I think I'll have to repot Plantey into a larger pot this spring.

How exciting is my life? Fish and plant stories. Ohhhhh yeaaaahhhh.

3 Comments:

Blogger AJ said...

You, sir, are thinking of the wrong Echo. I will, if I may, draw your memory to a certain Shadowlord pack that showed up to a screwed-up Sept outside of Edmonton, years ago. As I recall it, there was an amazing Ragabash named Echo in that pack. Good times, good times.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Bne said...

Interesting point you make. I don't really remember him though..was he the omega perchance?

heh

But still, most not risk anyone thinking I like that crappy show. Gah, even Eliza "I'm no longer a fatty" Dushko can't save it!

3:19 PM  
Blogger Carla Ko said...

If I haven't mentioned it yet, I think it is super cool that you are a Big Brother. Good on you for making good use of all the energy given to you to keep up with kids :)

Whenever I see Eliza Dushko, all I can think of is that cheerleading movie that Alan and John love so much where she is the "edgy" one. I hear the show has gotten much better. . . really. Cori said it so it must be true; her taste in television is never suspect.

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home