But this time I really really mean it!
So some of you may have noticed (and yes I assume more than 3 people read my blog, I know right...ego much?) that I've been posting considerably more frequently than I have in the past. Despite the fact that I haven't been up to all that much what is interesting. This is due to a couple of things. One being that it was indicated to me over Christmas that people had stopped reading my blog because I didn't update enough (and not because of how boring my life is, which I would have assumed) and the other is because I quit playing WoW.
Now many of you are familiar with the "Ben quits WoW' dance. That's where I have this moment of clarity and angels call from on high and so forth and I determinedly say "THIS TIME I MEAN IT." And then like a week later there I am, needle in the arm. The vast majority (see: everyone) no longer believe it when I talk about quitting WoW. Heck I don't even believe it when I talk about quitting WoW.
Which is why I'm not talking about quitting, but rather talking about having quit. See about a month ago I decided to quit my raiding guild cause I was up too late and my work was suffering. And then I played a ton getting a new character ready to raid with an earlier raid guild, but there was drama about my old guild (seriously) and I didn't get in. And on January 6, 2009 I realized that I was no longer in a guild. On any server...with any character. This is significant because my account was first activated on January 6, 2005. So four years to the day I started playing I stopped. Technically my account didn't expire until the 18th, and I haven't played WoW in over 3 weeks now. And what's crazy (for me at least) is that I have no real desire too.
So I waited three weeks to be sure I wouldn't be backsliding right away (cause my "Hallelujah, I'm quitting WoW" post is still pretty fresh in my mind) and now I can honestly say I think that chapter is closed. I make no promises about a year or two down the line (or if I meet Anne Hathaway, she falls madly in love with me, and she plays, cause that could happen) but for the foreseeable future I have no desire to play MMOs. Which is kind of too bad considering I just dropped $1100 on a new computer so I could play Warhammer two months ago. Maybe I'll try out Fallout 3 or something.
Oh and yes, that is how my brain works (with the "to the day thing"). I broke a bad Freecel addiction by noticing that my stats were 121 wins, 11 loses and the fact that my wins were the square of my losses, combined with the symmetry of the number 121 (when I speed casually, I like to go 121) let me stop playing that game cold turkey too.
Anyway, time to go to bed. Tomorrow promises to be a long day filled with writing the first draft of a development agreement (How can I find something so boring so fascinating?!? It boggles my mind because I'm excited about this but I know, objectively, that it's dreadfully dull. Weird.) and in fact every day this week is going to be long and painful since I'm off to drive to California by way of BC (and more snowboarding! Cause breaking my helmet wasn't enough of a warning) at the end of the week and will be out of the office for like 3 weeks, so I have to have all my projects ahead of schedule before I go.
Now many of you are familiar with the "Ben quits WoW' dance. That's where I have this moment of clarity and angels call from on high and so forth and I determinedly say "THIS TIME I MEAN IT." And then like a week later there I am, needle in the arm. The vast majority (see: everyone) no longer believe it when I talk about quitting WoW. Heck I don't even believe it when I talk about quitting WoW.
Which is why I'm not talking about quitting, but rather talking about having quit. See about a month ago I decided to quit my raiding guild cause I was up too late and my work was suffering. And then I played a ton getting a new character ready to raid with an earlier raid guild, but there was drama about my old guild (seriously) and I didn't get in. And on January 6, 2009 I realized that I was no longer in a guild. On any server...with any character. This is significant because my account was first activated on January 6, 2005. So four years to the day I started playing I stopped. Technically my account didn't expire until the 18th, and I haven't played WoW in over 3 weeks now. And what's crazy (for me at least) is that I have no real desire too.
So I waited three weeks to be sure I wouldn't be backsliding right away (cause my "Hallelujah, I'm quitting WoW" post is still pretty fresh in my mind) and now I can honestly say I think that chapter is closed. I make no promises about a year or two down the line (or if I meet Anne Hathaway, she falls madly in love with me, and she plays, cause that could happen) but for the foreseeable future I have no desire to play MMOs. Which is kind of too bad considering I just dropped $1100 on a new computer so I could play Warhammer two months ago. Maybe I'll try out Fallout 3 or something.
Oh and yes, that is how my brain works (with the "to the day thing"). I broke a bad Freecel addiction by noticing that my stats were 121 wins, 11 loses and the fact that my wins were the square of my losses, combined with the symmetry of the number 121 (when I speed casually, I like to go 121) let me stop playing that game cold turkey too.
Anyway, time to go to bed. Tomorrow promises to be a long day filled with writing the first draft of a development agreement (How can I find something so boring so fascinating?!? It boggles my mind because I'm excited about this but I know, objectively, that it's dreadfully dull. Weird.) and in fact every day this week is going to be long and painful since I'm off to drive to California by way of BC (and more snowboarding! Cause breaking my helmet wasn't enough of a warning) at the end of the week and will be out of the office for like 3 weeks, so I have to have all my projects ahead of schedule before I go.

4 Comments:
"I assume more than 3 people read my blog"
I don't read your blog. I just stop by to look at the pictures from time to time...
Look internet stalker, I told you. That was a one time thing.
On a totally unrelated note, I loved your story about the random character generator and the results. It reminds me of a DnD campaign Rob ran where we did that. Never have so many characters had so very little in common...
Play Fallout 3. It's AWESOME!
re: totally unrelated note...
Ah well... at least we didn't end up with an ASS-RAPING Thief named Boba Fett!
Post a Comment
<< Home