There And Back Again, The Wanderings of an Unoriginal Bastard

Word on the street is that there are people that carefully plot out their entire lives. I am not one of those.

Name:
Location: Depends what day it is

So there I was, bored at work, when I think "Why not just quit my job and go to Europe for awhile?" Still can't think of a reason not to.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

I win!

Good news and bad news which is really good news.

Bad News first. Ronin will not be mine. Which is good news as:
1) I don't have wiggle room in my budget for a horse.
2) He got adopted by this woman who has rescued three other horses and is just fantastic with tons of land and he's going to have a way awesome life.

So no Ronin for me. I did look at some other horses, but none are broken and I sure ain't a horse trainer...

In other news I have the power of Greyskull!!!

Well, no, not really. Which is good news as I don't have the torso to really carry the "two straps and a sword" look (which could be a sitcom now that I think about it).

Hmmm. Casting two straps and a sword (not to be confused with "two strap-ons and a sword") would be a task I think would be best delegated to the lovely ladies of Edmonton who would get to decide which pecs would be revealed. I do worry about the emotional scarring they might inflict though. "Sorry Orlando, we were hoping a *man* would apply for this part. Maybe the She-ra show is more your speed."

But back to the power. I has been named a Development Officer by Council. Which is neat because not only is it a new title with way added powers and responsibilities (I fall short of being able to claim "great" for either the powers or responsibilities) but it is in no way a promotion since I won't be getting a raise out of it. Also I have it on good authority that it isn't a promotionj since my boss said "you've been appointed as a Development Officer. This isn't a promotion though. There isn't any money in it for you." Which is why I love my boss. I have never once had to try to guess what he was thinking.

Though I intend to make a solid presentation on the "no money" issue come year end...but I digress.

At first I was aggravated about the "it's not a promotion thing". Well I was. Then it was pointed out that I was:
1) Getting the title I wanted for ye olde resume
2) Getting to do the work I wanted to do
3) Getting to learn like crazy (yesterday was a crash course in variances) about said planning

So even if there is no immediate raise involved, and even if everyone reminds me it's not a promotion...the reality is...it's a promotion.

So go me!

See the median salary in Alberta for a GIS tech is about 45-55k. The median salary for a Development Officer is 55-65. Also the work is more interesting. And not just a little more interesting. Waaaaay more interesting. Pure unadulterated win!

Anyway, today is cooking day. Planning And Development (which is just me and J-Money today) is hosting the staff meeting. So this morning I set up tables and got the barbeque set up. Now it's off to the store for condiments and cheese. Then I am cooking from 11 until about 1. I may get about 10 minutes of real work done today if I'm not careful!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger cenobyte said...

If you do want a horse, I know someone who has horses. Trained and all. In Edmonton. Well, just out of Edmonton.

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home