There And Back Again, The Wanderings of an Unoriginal Bastard

Word on the street is that there are people that carefully plot out their entire lives. I am not one of those.

Name:
Location: Depends what day it is

So there I was, bored at work, when I think "Why not just quit my job and go to Europe for awhile?" Still can't think of a reason not to.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

T-3 days

It's now nearly one in the morning. Tomorrow I get up, pack, go pick up the car, then drive to Edmonton for the weekend. When I get back on Monday I'm dropping the car off at the airport and getting on a plane...to England. Let's be honest shall we, I'm pretty much completely freaked out about this.

Two weeks ago I was planning a trip to Edmonton for the game and I get an email from my lovely and extremely considerate friend asking me to come visit her in London. 15 days ago now to be annoyingly precise (I tried not to be literal there...really I did) I had no passport, no ticket, and a job that I didn't like but payed ok.

Now I have a passport (and a non-ugly photo of me, which still blows me away. I deliberately didn't shave that day so it would look like me to any suspicious Czech border guards) a ticket and no job.

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=624

Ok, that's not exactly how it happened. Though my manager was pretty cool about it, even when he told me that he needed my resignation in writing (I could resign or get fired, my choice) and I wrote him a resignation Haiku.

Today is my last
It has been interesting
I will miss the team

Although he did get a whee bit sarcastic about needing it in letter form and in word format and not to be "stupid". I mean I know it's too direct to be a proper Haiku (thanks Dai Tsuchi, who has critiqued my work in the past) but it's hard to write something decent in 2 minutes while still pretending to work. He's also threatened to re-hire me if I call him when I get back, so I guess he really didn't like me.

Anyway the point is that I've been sitting by my computer all night eating Chinese food from Shanghai Y2K (forgive the name, they have food so good that I bought a can of mini-ravioli to eat to tide me over because they take over an hour to do delivery). They have a Cashew nut chicken with carrots and celery that has this simple, delicate flavour to it that you have to try, if you aren't Princess Banana Hammock (who is allergic, not an opponent of Chinese food. Although the mental image of a boxing ring match between her and a stack of those takeout containers that only exist in movies and TV kind of makes me laugh; Does anyone even use those in real life? I order takeout a lot, and I've never seen the little box things, but they look so handy) . I will describe the flavour as "subtle" because it is in all the good ways. Reading all the comics that exist for QC as Amy (who has forgiven me for keeping this trip a secret right?) has advocated and doing laundry so that I can pack tomorrow morning.

I kind of hoped the meds (I have a cold people! You wish it was something stronger) would knock me out so I could actually sleep tonight, but alas it seems it is not to be. I think I've got everything covered...except travel insurance which I'll grab tomorrow. And a tripod since I still maintain my neo-luddite view of digital cameras. Ok that's a lie, Furlak is lending me his for this trip. I just think I'll want to take some B&W shots as well.

The buzzer just went, which means either fries are up or, more likely, my laundry is done. So I'm going to go. Hope that wasn't too incoherent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home